I started to make this jacket from New Look 6035 pattern (part of a coordinates pattern) at the end of last summer. I got pretty far with it, but something or other distracted me and I put it aside. Well, I just picked it up last week and decided to finish it. I am trying really hard to finish projects that I have started before I move on to the next best thing that I just have to have. There are just so many things I want to sew!
This jacket is a simple design as it is unlined with princess seams and patch pockets, so I upped the construction factor by making Hong Kong finished seams for most of the seams. I used some leftover printed silk to make the bias strips for the seam bindings. This took about 6 times longer for each interior seam and the sleeve seams as the seams are sewn, then each seam allowance is bound by sewing a bias strip of the silk to both sides of the seam allowance. Lots of work, but it looks great on the inside.
I am really happy with my newly completed (or should I say finally completed!) jacket.
I have enough of the same fabric left to make a pant or a skirt (or even a little sheath dress!), so at some point, after I have gotten through my long, long list of sewing projects I want to accomplish, I will make a piece to make this into a nice linen suit. Exciting!